Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Artistic Cannibalism

Lets talk about cannibalism.
 I'm not talking about that kind of cannibalism...

Nor this kind...
A Silence of the Lambs Lego set with Hannibal the Cannibal.   Nope that's not what I'm talking about at all.  

What I'm talking about is not so gruesome.  What I'm talking about is the devouring an old piece of art to create something new.   This happens to me all the time and it happened fairly recently.  I can show you the evidence...
Not long ago I posted an image of one of my Strange Angel series.  Here it is:
I was really getting bugged by this piece.  It was really bothering me.  It was ok but I just wasn't sold on it 100%. Now I should mention that whenever that feeling happens, that particular piece of art is in jeapordy...in jeapordy of....
ARTISTIC CANNIBALISM. EEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!

This strange angel was hanging around the studio for a bit, subtly bothering me.   Really it was asking for it...being kind of bratty...saying things like, "you don't like me but you're too chicken to do anything about it...aren't ya?  Aren't ya??"     Well in my studio I never let my art act bratty...it means trouble...it means...I kick some butt.  And I'm tellin' you now that this this piece was getting a whoopin'.  The artwork however got a lucky break.  I was headed to Cleaveland.   While I was out there I came across some large-ish Italian milagros.   Here's a sample of one I haven't done anything with yet:
I bought two...they were sterling silver and not cheap but very irresistible.  
When got home the Strange Angel was still being bratty so...Popeye moment....I've stands all I can stands and I can't stands no more!
   
and then...
After the dust settled...this is what was left...
(you can see in the next photo that the milagro was a little different from the sample I showed earlier)
After a bit of work voila!  I was pleased.
Ok let's compare
Big difference.
 
I should mention that perhaps the piece wasn't being snotty, but rather, it was trying to get me do to the right thing and make it better.  Perhaps...I still think it was being a snot...so....
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...
and sometimes that thing is....
Artistic Cannabalism!!!!!

11 comments:

Mish McEntire said...

Ooooh! Your ferocious appetite served you well! While the first piece is quite fabulous...the second piece reaches out, grabs you by the collar, pulls you in close and says "Yeah baby! You KNOW I'm awesome!" Gorgeous. I'm going to make off with it while you're not looking. ;)

Vickie said...

gorgeous milagros...justified cannabalism...gorgeous, too...did i see those cannibal gals in oaxaca??

LuLu said...

Howdy Michael,
Your work is so inspiring - I like them both. But if you must make me choose one, I actually like the first one better - before the cannibals got to it!

They are both wonderful assemblages - I'm just super partial to that virgin Mary image....I was workiing in a journal of virgin Mary images for several hours last night...

Meanwhile I would love for you to visit my blog, and comment on some of my art when you have a moment or 2!

Peace,
Mary Lou 'LuLu'

BLOG Art: www.lulu-too-beaucoup.blogspot.com/
BLOG Heritage: http://www.the-family-connection-tfc.blogspot.com/

SOLO EXHIBITION - Save the Date!
Franklin Framing & Gallery, Blue Island, IL Sep 25 - Oct 23, 2010, Opening Reception: Sep 25, 2010, 7pm-10pm, Free parking in Rear

rosie said...

Question: Does Artistic Cannibalism also apply when you take the heads off dollies, paint them like skulls and have a floating head shadowbox shrine? (There are little bodies all over my art room, yea I think I'm a cannibal.)

Bea Coombe Hubbs said...

I like both pieces.
Not only are you an "amazing artist", you are an AMAZING WRITER! Your imagination and talent keep me in awe!

Carina said...

Okay, where was your hot shopping spot in Cleveland, seeing as I am headed there this weekend to do the class with Teesha and Tracy?
You've already picked what you need so I won't be competing for good junk.

Eileen said...

Awesomeness indeed!

Rebeca Trevino said...

You are funny! (and fun!)

donna joy said...

haven't heard that song in yrs-now it will be stuck in my head all weekend...
nice art too :)

JonesMoore Studio Art, Lisa JonesMoore said...

The piece seems to change from 'feminine' to more 'masculine', and interesting transition!!

Artorama said...

I think they are both good.
The second piece is more "polished", finished.
I'm sorry I won't see you at Valley Ridge this year. I know you will have wonderful workshops with your biggest fan Gary.
Meanwhile I'll read your blog to follow your latest art adventures.